Atopic dermatitis and natural medicine
Din revista Revista HOFIGAL - Natura si Sanatate Nr. 41, numarul 41 din 16 12, 2013Atopic dermatitis, also known as “Syndrome eczema / atopic dermatitis” (SEDA) is an inflammatory skin condition that creates a feeling of intense pruritus (itching), with chronic evolution. Etymological translates as “dermatitis” means inflammation of the skin, and “Atopic” refers to a genetic predisposition to develop various reactions and allergies (including asthma, and allergic rhinitis).
Atopic dermatitis typically affects early childhood but can start at all age groups. 60 % of cases occur before the first year of life and up to 85 % of cases starts to 5 years.
- Atopic dermatitis is not an infectious disease and for this reason, children who have this disease can be received in the community;
- Urban children are affected more frequently;
- females are more affected than men;
- atopy is defined as a person born susceptible due to genetics to develop during life of one or more allergic diseases (conjunctivitis, rhinitis, asthma).
The factors that may cause atopic dermatitis, the most common are criminalized:
- dietary factors - cow's milk, eggs, nuts, peanuts, soy, wheat, fish, shellfish, soy and peanuts;
- allergens - house dust mites;
- Infectious agents - Staphylococcus aureus, Pytirosporum oval;
- contact allergens (metals, fragrances, neomycin, lanolin ) seems to be incriminated in 41-64 % of cases of atopic dermatitis;
- tight and abrasive wear wool or synthetic materials;
- physical factors - extreme temperatures;
- emotional stress
Primary and dominant symptom of atopic dermatitis is pruritus (itchy) that frequently triggers a vicious cycle: itching leads to scratching, scratching causes the skin changes that ultimately will reduce the threshold of sensitivity to stimuli (skin hyper reactivity) that trigger itching triggering again itching. In children, itching causes disturbance of sleep, marked irritability secondary insomnia due to itching sensation. It is also important to note that 50 % of children with atopic dermatitis develop asthma or allergic rhinitis either.
- Infant dermatitis manifested between two months and two years, appears as acute injuries nature arranged especially to the head (scalp, cheeks), neck, trunk and extremities. In infants, the itchy rash can produce a scaly rash that occurs primarily on the face and scalp, or spots that can appear anywhere.
- Childhood dermatitis occurs between 4 and 10 years of life, and it manifests as acute lesions less and less humid, often located in areas flexor (folds of neck, elbow, knee, and wrist). There are frequent dry papules, erythema and swelling around the eyes.
- Dermatitis teen / adults are commonly found only residual symptoms: persistent dermatitis hand dermatitis eyelids, retroauricular dermatitis.
Treatment of atopic dermatitis lesions include avoidance of triggers, controlling itching, suppressing inflammation, restoring the skin barrier and eliminate anxiety. The main components of topical therapy in atopic dermatitis are: Emollients, dermatocorticoizii, calcineurin inhibitors. Systemic means of treatment include immunomodulatory agents, systemic corticosteroids, antihistamines, phototherapy, and are used in carefully selected cases of atopic dermatitis ( severe, refractory to topical treatments ).
Prevention is achieved by:
- Exclusive breastfeeding up to 6 months;
- Avoid overheating room air humidification;
- Use cotton clothes and washing them with detergent, meek without bleach or fabric;
- Removal of dust, mold;
- Frequency ventilation of the room;
- Avoid long baths with hot water;
- Eliminating factors that determine xerosis (dry skin), such as excessive washing.
Natural Medicine recommends:
- Most used gemmotherapies are Hickory buds gemmoderivate MG 1 DH, with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and healing combined with black currant buds gemmoderivate MG 1 DH, with anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic.
- Gemmoderivate black currant bud is effective in all types of allergies, because it has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, stimulating and increasing the level of corticosteroids.
- Introduction to food B complex vitamins or food supplements based on vitamin B complex: Spirulin, sea buckthorn oil.
- Taking zinc supplements based on: Hofimun.
- bet on where scalp dermatitis manifests recommended using mild shampoos specially formulated Shampoo 5R Hofigal
- People with dry skin can use vegetable soft soap.
- To ensure the necessary fatty acid structure and management of the dermis is required: Omega 3, Omega 6 vegetable or fish oil.
- Use of gotu kola (Centella asiatica) to reduce inflammation and stimulate the formation of lipids and proteins necessary for healthy skin.
- Apply aloe vera -based gel or primrose oil directly to the affected skin portions.
- Calendula (marigold), this remedy (as homeopathic potency) may be helpful if your skin tends to infection. Use as a lotion, gel, or tincture relieves irritated skin and sometimes may decrease inflammation and prevent infection.
- Patient’s emotional stability is very important for disease control. In some cases it is necessary to resort to a psychologist or initiation of therapy (drugs, hypnosis, and massage) for the reduction and control of anxiety / depression. Food supplements can help maintain emotional balance are Passiflora, Lavender oil soak, Passisclerotin, Sleep, tincture of lemon balm, St. John's wort.
Herbal and homeopathic remedies can relieve rashes, but treatment must be individualized for each patient.
The readers ask, the doctor answers
Dr. Emil Cristea - M.F. specialist Farm. Cleofarm Colentina
Fibrocystic breast conditions and some gynecological diseases and their treatment with natural products
Dr. SORIN MĂRGINEANU
Improving rheumatic diseases with phytotherapy
Dr. Emil Cristea - M.F. specialist Farm. Cleofarm Colentina
Psoriasis –a new therapeutical option
Dr. Aniela-Ioana Kinn, Family Medicine Specialist
Galllbladder pathology and addressing it using plants
Dr. Anamaria Alexandru - Apiphitotherapy doctor
Testing the efficiency of the products HOF-LIPOMIN and VEGETABLE OMEGA 3 & 6
Dr. Iulia Burghiu – clinical studies monitor
The advantages of soft gelatin capsules – for general use and especially in new the product LARVALBINA
Dipl. Ing. chim. STEFAN MANEA, Director General HOFIGAL
Research on the action of gemmoderivates on diuresis
Dr. Farm. Chim. Raiciu Anca Daniela, Marketing Director S.C. HOFIGAL EXPORT - IMPORT S.A
Autumn risks : peptic ulcer
Dr. AnaMaria Alexandru, Family physician with expertise in Apiphitotherapy
Prevention of streptococcal pharyngitis with gemmotherapy
Dr. ANIELA-IOANA KINN, Family medicin specialist